Many thanks for this tasty recipe to Mrs. S. who posted it to her own blog, Our Shiputzim, and suggested it to me privately. It met with my family’s approval and I’ll be making it again over Pesach. It’s a real easy pleaser; a reliable vegetable dish that takes almost no trouble to make.
The recipe calls for an entire 32-oz. bag of frozen broccoli. I knew that would be too much for us, so I halved it. But multiply it at will. I also had to fool around with it a little… something I do with most recipes.
Simple Broccoli Kugel (no gebrochts)
1 large onion, chopped
1/4 cup olive oil
3 Tblsp. potato starch
1 lb. – 450 grams frozen broccoli – about 1/2 bag
1 tsp. salt
pepper to taste
2 garlic cloves
a pinch of thyme
3 eggs, beaten
1. Sauté the chopped onion in the olive oil.
2. When the onions are golden, add the potato starch. Mix.
3. Add the broccoli and heat through.
4. Remove from the fire. Mix remaining ingredients in.
5. Grease a pan, or line it with baking paper, and bake at 350°F – 180°C for 45 minutes. Test for tenderness: if the broccoli is still underdone, bake a further 15 minutes.